- This event has passed.
SaT5G and 5GENESIS “Satellite-terrestrial interworking: a pillar of forthcoming 5G systems” WS @IEEE WCNC
April 15 @ 8:00 am - 5:00 pm
SaT5G and 5GENESIS are co-organising the Workshop “Satellite-terrestrial interworking: a pillar of forthcoming 5G systems”, with 5GALLSTAR to be held at the IEEE WCNC conference on April the 15th 2019, in Marrakech, Morocco. They now call for papers.
Motivation and scope: Right after the finalization of the 3GPP 5G Phase I specifications and at the verge of the first commercial launches of 5G systems, seamless integration between the satellite- and the cellular system is not yet finalized. The definition of 3GPP 5G Phase II features has just started under the 3GPP Release 16, but it seems that the remaining open points cannot be effectively addressed by the planned new features set, thus shifting to future releases a real satellite-terrestrial integration. Therefore, in order to stress the importance of such integration for the society as well as its business potential, it is key to call the wireless community to prompt action and therefore to organize workshops that can help in sorting out how the satellite and the wireless community can come to a common understanding of how to deliver jointly new interesting services and also add value to existing ones. We claim that without such integration the charter of 5G networks to finally deliver a unique, homogeneous and ubiquitous communication system, capable of satisfying several verticals and different industries, will not be fulfilled.
This workshop aims at discussing recent technology developments, at highlighting still open issues, and at identifying related business opportunities and the market perspectives of a smooth satellite-terrestrial networks integration. Recent theoretical and experimental results, coming out mainly but not only from a few key international research projects, as well as standardization efforts and regulatory bodies matters in the direction of satellite-terrestrial interworking will be discussed and clarified.
Topics: The topics covered by this workshop include, but are not limited to:
- Key 5G enhancements of satellite networks
- Integration of satellite and terrestrial networks
- Verticals benefitting from satellite-terrestrial integration
- Use cases and scenarios for satellite-terrestrial integration
- Standardization of satellite-terrestrial networks: status and next steps
- Regulation of spectrum bands for the joint usage of satellite and terrestrial networks
- Testbeds and trials involving satellite-terrestrial integration
- Business cases and business models for satellite-terrestrial integration
- 3GPP and ETSI status of interoperability features among different access technologies
- January 10, 2019 Submission of papers
- February 15, 2019 Notification of acceptance
- March 1, 2019 Camera-ready version of accepted papers