Previous generations of mobile technologies primarily satisfied human communications in the form of voice, data and Internet. 5G on the other hand equally aims for industrial communications to help digitise the economy and contribute towards global digital transformation. Vertical sectors such as transport, media, and manufacturing will likely be the leading adopters.
Within this context, the 5G Infrastructure Association (5G-IA), representing the private side in 5G-PPP, includes verticals engagement as a main objective. The 5G-PPP Vertical Engagement Task Force (VTF) was therefore established to coordinate and monitor activities related to working with vertical sectors. Specifically, it has the following objectives:
- Enhance verticals engagement in 5G-PPP
- Promote relevant funding Calls within verticals industries
- Gather verticals feedback on 5G needs and potential barriers for adoption
- Raise awareness of 5G potential
Members of the 5G-PPP community regularly attend industry events and trade conferences organised by different vertical sectors. Our objective is twofold:
(1) present 5G and its potential for verticals
(2) listen to industry professionals and gather specific requirements from different verticals
Click on the relevant link above to see past and upcoming events related to your vertical sector. You can also contact Raffaele de Peppe, Chair of Verticals Engagement Task Force, if you are attending an event and wish to meet.
Verticals in the Projects
5G-PPP is currently funding 21 phase-2 projects and all include vertical use-cases. The images below give a summary of this landscape.